Rocketry
Art Applewhite Saucers Print E-mail
Monday, 09 June 2008 10:32
Two Art Applewhite saucers - MicroMaxx and 13mm 'Delta'

Art Applewhite Saucers

Art Applewhite Saucers

The plans for these saucers are available in the 'Free' section of Art's site. Just print them out and glue them together!
 
The Wild Weasel & Baby Bertha Print E-mail
Monday, 09 June 2008 10:26
Two new rockets joined my fleet:
"The Wild Weasel" - A scratch-built tube-fin rocket. First flight was terribly unstable with the rocket zig-zagging about 100 feet up; thus the name 'wild weasel'. The second rocket is a stock Estes "Baby Bertha" painted in a rotational test pattern much like the pattern seen on the test German V-2 rockets.

Baby Bertha & Scratch Built The Wild Weasel The Wild Weasel
 
Der Red Max Print E-mail
Saturday, 10 May 2008 23:37

I liked the look of the old Estes Der Red Max and thought I would try and scratch-build one. The hardest part was the decals, and I only ended up making two of them, but the rocket flys well and I'm happy with the way it looks :) Comes down under a nice big red parachute.

 
ACME Rocket Print E-mail
Saturday, 10 May 2008 23:28
Wile E. Coyote would be proud, this is my Scratch Built ACME rocket.

It was a piece of cake to build--I glued the stick to the body tube, glued in the engine mount, glued on the launch lugs! The nosecone was the hardest part as it was formed using a paper pattern generated by a 'cone' design package (online). Soaked the cone in CA before sanding, which made it nice and hard and came up very shiny! Short length of 60mm tube was cut down the side and a small section removed to reduce the diameter. A 3mm ply cap was glued to the end and polyurethane glue was used to attach it to the nosecone.

Kevlar cord was attached around the motor mount and run up through a notch in the top centering ring to a length of elastic shock cord, which in turn was attached to the nosecone. A 14" parachute was attached to the nosecone via 30" of nylon cord.

The body consists of a single body tube (60mm x 25mm postage tube) with a cardstock nosecone (80mm x 85mm). Single stick for stability. 3mm Plywood centering rings, 1/4" launch lugs (one at center point of motor, one near end of stick). 14" parachute.

Parachute was hand made, body tube was obtained from Officeworks and the stick came from Bunnings.

First flight was on D12-3. Ejection just past apogee at perhaps 200-300 feet. Good flight, quick off the pad but was a little wobbly, having a slight spiral. Second flight was on a E9-4, perhaps a little slower off the pad but very nice flight with ejection just past apogee again, apogee at approx. 400 feet.

Very happy with the rocket. Turned out exactly how I wanted. Nice big and bright. Got all the appropriate kudos on the flight field.

 
Midnight Cruiser - Scratch Built Print E-mail
Saturday, 10 May 2008 23:13
Midnight Cruiser scratch built rocket.
 

And yes, they are toothpics on the ends of the fins :)
 
Fleet Photo Print E-mail
Saturday, 10 May 2008 23:05
Some of my fleet as at March 18, 2008.
  • Der Red Max - Scratch Built
  • JX-1 - Squirrelworks
  • Wizard - Estes
  • Candy Test Rocket - Scratch Built
  • Midnight Cruiser - Scratch Built
  • Golden Scout - Semroc (Unpainted)
  • Thunderbee x 2 - Semroc
  • MMX BicStic - Scratch Built
  • 50's Style - Scratch Built
  • 2 Stage - Scratch Built
  • Candy Test Rocket - Scratch Built (Missing nosecone)
  • Mean Machine - Estes (Not Photographed)
Bigger photos on Flickr.
 
When good rockets turn bad... Print E-mail
Wednesday, 26 March 2008 01:36

Every picture tells a story, these are no exception! 2nd scratch-built sugar rocket not as successful as first :p

  
Read more...
 
Sugar Rocket Print E-mail
Sunday, 17 February 2008 13:00

First Scratch-Built Sugar Rocket (KNDX RCandy). This rocket is running on a forumla adapted from Jimmy Yawn's site.


Flight of Sugar Rocket
Read more...
 
50s Style Rocket launchs Print E-mail
Sunday, 17 February 2008 12:35

A few weeks ago I finished off a scratch-built rocket. Here's some videos and photos of the rocket in action!


1st Flight
Read more...
 
3... 2... 1... Blast Off! Print E-mail
Wednesday, 02 January 2008 19:57

Thunderbee Rocket by Semroc

Over the last couple of months, I've been playing with model rockets.  It's been more than 20 years since I last tried my hand at model rocketry - that experience ended in tears with my little rocket being squashed by a bus!

I figured it was time to have another look. I've spent the last few months watching YouTube videos, visiting websites and reading as much as I could get my hands on.  This weekend I launched my first rockets in more than 20 years.  The first launch was a commercial kit by Semroc called 'Thuderbee'. I built the rocket and, using a A3-4T motor, launched it to around 700' at the Dandenong Wetlands.

 This is the little beast! I purchased this from the fine folk at Suburban Rocketry in NSW.

Full size images can be seen on my flickr page.



 

Read more...
 
<< Start < Prev 11 12 13 Next > End >>

Page 13 of 13
Visitors since Jan 1, 2010